Monday, May 12, 2014

Sewing Essentials

As the end of the school year comes and I see the end of my commissioned sewing projects I know I'll be doing a lot more projects for the blog.  With that in mind, I wanted to share with you what I consider the essentials for anyone who wants to sew.  I'll provide links if they are available.  I know some of it is kind of spendy but if you pay attention you'll notice most of my essentials have been around for 20 plus years.  You can't beat a ruler that costs you $17 still being around 20 years later.  It makes it less than a dollar a year.  I also scour garage sales and thrift stores.  Look for sewing or quilting in garage sale lists, or "cleaning out grandma's" those are the ones that will more than likely lead you to quality sewing notions for little of nothing.





Sewing Machine -  I have a Brother Computerized Sewing/Quilting Machine SQ9050.  It's a great machine.  It does almost everything that I want.  If you are just starting out I would suggest finding a vintage machine.  My suggestion would be Craig's list or a garage sale.  Shipping costs will kill you on Ebay.  You can find machines ready to go for $50 or less.  I have been picking them up for under $20 because my husband can clean up them.  If you have that option you can pick them up for $5.  The great thing about the vintage machines is there is very little that you can screw up with them.  They are all metal and will take the abuse.


Cutting Mat - My primary cutting mat is an OLFA 9891 24-Inch x 36-Inch Self-Healing Rotary Mat.  It's the perfect size for my table.  I also have my mom's cutting mat that she had cut to fit her cutting table.  It's slightly larger than what JoAnn carries.  They have a 36 x 59 cutting mat that I would suggest if you have the space and are committed to sewing.


Rotary Cutter - I love my Fiskars 45mm Contour Rotary Cutter.  I like how it fits in my hand.  My husband on the other hand hates it and prefers the OLFA 45mm Ergonomic Rotary Cutter.  It really depends on what feels good in your hand.  I prefer the 45mm size the best.  Just to prove how well built both of these rotary cutters are, I've had mine since high school.  I also have my mom's OLFA 28mm Straight Handle Rotary Cutter.  It's a little small for me but I do keep blades on hand for it just in case.



Scissors -  Get good ones.  This is not the place to skimp.  Scissors can make or break a sewing project.  There are times you  I can't use my rotary cutter to cut.  I have lots of scissors.  My primary scissors since high school, again that's how good they are, have been these Fiskars 8 Inch Scissor.  I've had them professionally sharpened a few times but I love them.  This is another place my husband and I disagree he prefers the Fiskars 9 Inch Dressmaker Shears.  He likes the traditional handles better.  Last year Havel's advertised on my blog and sent me some scissors.  They are razor sharp.  I have never owned scissors this sharp before.  They are currently running a giveaway on their blog.  I would suggest going over to their website and entering the giveaway.  They also have a $5 off coupon too, making them about the same cost, if not cheaper than Fiskars.




Ruler - I looked very hard for my ruler but sadly it is no longer made.  I'm pretty sure this is it's new sister, Omnigrid 6-Inch-by-24-Inch Quilter's Ruler.  The difference is mine has red lines.  I really doubt the color matters.

Pins - I love glass head pins.  They are kind of pricey compared to the plastic top ones.  To start out get the plastic ones, once you decide that this is for you, pick up some glass ones.  Just remember that you'll probably melt a couple and that's OK.


 

Irons - Oh, I have a love hate relationship with these things.  They are necessary in the sewing room but I hate to use them.  My dream iron is a Rowenta DW5080 Focus Steam Iron with 400-hole Stainless Steel Soleplate 1700 Watt, Beige.  I just can't bring myself to spend $82 for an iron.  They are amazing though.  Instead I have a HAMILTON BEACH Non-Stick Clothes Iron that you can pick up for $20.




Seam Ripper - You need a new one unless you just bought it.  They are cheap, so cheap Amazon doesn't even sell them unless you have a $25 order.  DO NOT BUY A USED ONE!  



These items will get you started.  Buying them through the Amazon links will help me but it's up to you.  They are provided to give you ideas.  I'll be sharing all of the extras I use later on.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)