Friday, January 10, 2014

DIY Dress Form

Today we are going to look at how we can make our own dress forms.  I have wanted one forever but just couldn't justify the costs.  I make some clothing but I don't make them all the time.  I am also fairly narrow shouldered and busty.  I hadn't found any standard dress forms that fit me and a custom one runs a little over $400.  Certainly, not in my budget.  So what's a girl to do?  Make one!


You'll need one for one of my upcoming blog posts.  So if you don't have one, whip one of these up while you wait for the post to come out.

I had originally pinned this idea almost a year ago.  It's now a paid subscription video.  It's not the version I ended up using anyway.  The thought of being wrapped up in plastic wrap and then duck tape made me a little claustrophobic.  I had been sitting on this idea for almost a year when I came across another idea.  I was looking for some tips on tailoring my husbands shirts when at the end of the video was a dress form idea.  Start the video at 1:39 for the dress form.



So here are some first hand tips.


  • You need some help.  Make sure your help is someone you are comfortable having touch you. The girls get rubbed a lot.
  • Go to the bathroom before you start.
  • Buy lots of tape.  At least 3 rolls, I used 2 and half.  
  • Go around with the tape, then up and down, and then around again.  Three layers of tape at least.  
  • If you want it to be pretty use a role of the decorative tape for the top layer.
  • Start filling it as soon as you are done.  The tape will start to pull away from the t-shirt.
  • Put a piece of PVC in the middle so you can put it on a stand.
  • Be prepared to have to start over.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)