Friday, January 17, 2014

Camo Apron - Custom Fit

As many of you know I live in a very rural area.  Part of the cultural here is hunting, not for sport but, to put food on the table.  It's not one of my favorite things, I'll be honest.  I do love my husband's deer jerky.  I think I could eat a whole deer by myself.  It's that good!  And no I won't share the recipe, he won't even tell me how to make it so I know he's not going to share with the world.  In an effort to embrace some of what my husband and his son enjoy so much. I had originally thought I could purchase the apron I wanted or more precisely could get it as Christmas present.  Sadly, there wasn't one to be purchased. They don't make an apron for a full figured woman who doesn't want flour all over the girls.



Remember that dress form from last week?  That's what I used to make the pattern.  I'll show you Monday how to make a pattern.   I wanted an apron that fully covered my breasts.  I always have half a breast hanging out on each side.  Those don't really work to keep your shirt clean.  So I made a pattern that covered everything up top.  The downside was I had to put a dart in it but that's OK.  Let's get this project started.

What You'll Need:

  • 1 yard of fabric (you don't have to use camo, but this is what I used )
  • 1/4 - 3/4 yard of contrast color (1/2 yard if purchasing bias binding)
  • 1 inch wide Bias Binding (Made from 1/4 of your contrast color or purchased)
  • Thread matching contrast color
  • Pattern Piece for Top
  • Sewing Notions - scissors, pins, rotary mat, rotary cutter, iron, ironing board, etc.

The first thing you'll want to do is make the bias binding.  I used the method featured here.  I used an 18" square instead of two smaller squares.  I also used one of my Christmas presents, a bias binding maker.  They are handy tools if you want to make perfectly coordinated bias binding.  Set it aside.

All seam allowances are 1/4" inch unless otherwise stated.

Next cut out your top and skirt.  The skirt will be a rectangle, the width equal to the width of your top, and the length is determined by the length from your waist to just above your knee.  If your top needs a dart, now is the time to sew it in.  Now, we pin the bias binding on to the top and the skirt. There is no need to put bias binding across the bottom of your top or the top of your skirt.


Now you need to cut your "waistband".  I cut mine two inches wide from my contrasting color.  Sew your top, right sides together, to your waist band.


Now sew the skirt to the waist band, right sides together.

It's time to make the straps now.  You'll need two for the top and two for the waist.  I measured the width of the arm straps, this includes the ends of the bias binding, 1 and 3/4 inches.  I cut my strap twice that plus half an inch.  DO NOT FORGET THE HALF INCH, that's your seam allowance.  So mine were 4" wide x the width of the fabric.  They can be trimmed later if need be.  Do the same for your waist. Fold each strap in half, right sides facing, and sew, forming a tube.  Press the seam open.

Turn the tube right side out and press flat with the seam centered.

Now attach the straps.  You'll need to turn the end of each strap in a 1/2" inside so you end up with a clean edge.  Attach to your top and waist band as pictured below.  This also makes all of your edges clean.



I did a criss cross, left to right side and right to left side, back with my top straps.  I attached each strap at the waistband as shown below.  Trim the straps if needed.


CAREFULLY, line your needle up so you are stitching over the same stitches you used to attach the binding, through the waistband, and ending in the stitches of the bias binding at the bottom.  Do this for both sides.


If your waistband straps are too long cut them to the right length , turn the ends in and sew along the end to close it.  I left mine long so I could tie it in the front.  That's it!  You now have yourself a cute camo apron, to impress the men in your life.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)