Friday, November 1, 2013

Let's Talk Turkey

It's November and that means the holidays are right around the corner!  This is my absolute favorite time of the year.  I love being in the kitchen from now until the new year.  The smells, the family time, and all of the food makes me a happy camper.  Without some research in your skill set this could be a very painful time of year if you are gluten free.

So this holiday season we'll go through all those dishes we love and how to make them gluten free.  There will be no need to miss out on one thing this year!


I love turkey!  It's probably one of my favorite foods.  You'd also think you'd be safe eating just plain roasted turkey but you'd be wrong.  Many of the turkeys on the market today in fact have gluten in them. :(  It's usually in the stuff they inject the meat with and/or the gravy packet.  So what turkey can you buy?


Please follow the links to get the exact products that are gluten free and double check the labels.  I don't think any company out there would label something gluten free that wasn't knowingly but it's better to be safe than sorry.  I do want to share Jennie-O's full list of gluten free products, since they have lots of products like meatballs.  

I normally buy Butterball turkey since they usually have the cheapest prices.  Last year though the store brand Wal-Mart carried was clearly marked gluten free but I can't remember what the brand name was, it was almost a year ago folks!  

Now, no one likes dry turkey and after I discovered brine I'll never cook a turkey any other way.  I use Alton Brown's Honey Brined Smoked Turkey recipe.  CHECK YOUR VEGETABLE BROTH!!  I also don't smoke the turkey, I need gravy but that's for another post.  Once my turkey has been brined I pat that skin dry.  Dry skin is what browns wet skin does not.  I also loosen the skin and stick some cold butter under there and in the cavity I put some onion, carrots, and celery.  Then I put it in a 500, yes 500 degree over for about 30 minutes or until the skin is lightly brown.  Then I drop the temp to 325 and continue to bake it until it registers done. If the turkey starts to get over brown, cover it with alumminum foil, usually the breast is the only part that needs this. Side note, don't trust that pop up thing in the turkey!  I baste with turkey stock, either homemade or a safe purchased stock like Kitchen Basics.  When you baste, don't just do the skin that's not really helping anything, make sure your liquid is going into the cavity of the bird.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)