Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Ruffle Scarf, AKA The Death of Mel

I'm sure by now you've all seen the ruffled scarf.  I am also sure that the majority of you either got one for Christmas or made one or two or fifteen of them for Christmas.  How do I know this?  There is absolutely none of it left on the shelves in my area and many online retailers are sold out.
Photo from  recipient of scarf
Yes, I forgot to photograph any of them until I wrote the post.


I don't have a pattern for you.  I didn't make a pattern.  What I do have for you is some lessons that I learned while making mine.  Truth be told I'm still making them because now I get to do them for myself.

I used Red Heart yarn.  I used their yarn because I liked the lace/ruffle part the best.  It was wider and just the design of it suited me the best.  So now for the tips!

1.  Watch their video.  I've included it here for easy viewing.  It's a must.  At least it was for this knitter.  I throw my knitting.  You can find out what that is here.



2. Don't knit off the ball.  This yarn twists like no body's business.  You'll need an easy way to untwist it.  I used a Lay's Stax container that I cleaned and then cut a slit in the lid for the yarn to come out.  This way I just had to rotate the container instead of dealing with the ball of yarn.

3. Red Heart provides two sizes of scarves on the band of the yarn.  One is to cast on 10 stitches and the other is to cast on 6 stitches.  I went down the middle and went with 8.

4.  When I cast on I actually laid the yarn over itself and hid the tail that way.  It just finished nicer that way.  They show that technique in this video at 1:30.  Just remember you did that when you knit back across because you'll need to go through both loops at once.



5. Use clear thread to sew your ends.  The clear thread just disappears.  It makes it look professional.

6. Have fun with them!

Have you made one of these scarves?  Do you have any tips or tricks you want to share with the rest of us?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)