Thursday, January 3, 2013

Gluten Free Cheddar Biscuits

These biscuits are almost as good as Red Lobsters.  I said almost.  It's taken awhile to get it right but I do believe it is right now.  This goes together just like wheat biscuits do.  So don't worry you can make these.

Let's talk about how they came about.  I found this waffle recipe and thought I'd convert it.  I did and the waffles were OK.  What my husband noticed was the texture was sort of bread like.  A week later he asked for them again and this time instead of making them sweet could I make them savory.  He wanted to use it as bread for a sandwich.  So I whipped them up and with the little bit I had left over decided I'd toss it in the oven to see what they turned out like.  They showed lots of potential, the downfall was I had under baked them.

3/4 cup rice flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
2 TBSP almond meal
2 tsp xanthum gum
1 1/2 tsp Season All
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 TBSP minced garlic
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 TBSP baking powder
6 TBSP Softened Butter
Milk 1/2 - 3/4 cup

Lightly grease a 9x13 pan and preheat your oven to 400.

Mix all ingredients except the butter and milk in a bowl.  Cut in the butter with two forks or a pastry cutter until the butter is about pea sized.  Add the milk, how much you need is dependent on your weather, you want just enough to bring it all together.  It should be like drop biscuit consistency.  Not real loose but too wet to roll out.  I use an ice cream scoop to make my biscuits.  You should get 12 biscuits.  I gently push the biscuits down so that don't have a rounded top.  Bake for 15 minutes or until bottoms are golden.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)