Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Gluten Free Meatballs and Roasted Potatoes


Meatballs and meatloaf was something that I missed in my gluten-free home.  I'm fairly picky about my meatloaf and was sure I was done having it.  That was until the day that I was watching Food Network and saw a chef on there using cereal for a breading.  Now, I'm sure you are wondering how breading inspired me to work up a gluten free meatloaf recipe.  I always used breadcrumbs as my binder.  So I figured if they could use cereal for breading why couldn't I use it as a binder.
Note: My meatball and meatloaf recipes are the same.  The shape and topping is different.  We eat meatballs more often because my husbands likes the crunchy outside. :)

Let's make the meatballs!

What You Need:

I know this looks like a lot of stuff but it's for both the meatballs and the potatoes.

Scrub potatoes.  Cut in half moon shape all the same thickness.  Slice a half of an onion too.

Place onions, potatoes, oil, pepper, season salt, and minced garlic in a storage bag.


Put in a 425 oven to bake.  Remember to stir every 15-20 minutes.


In a bowl place hamburger, onion powder, salt, pepper, garlic, bullion paste, and Worcestershire sauce.

Process the cereal in the food processor.

Add to hamburger mix, also add 1 egg.

Form into balls, or if making meatloaf into a loaf.

Mix ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar together.


Pour sauce on meatballs during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
Enjoy!

Potatoes

2 1lbs russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
1/2 large onion sliced
1 Tablespoon season salt (ensure gluten free status)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
Fresh Black Pepper to taste
3 Tablespoons oil

Preheat oven to 425.

Mix all ingredients in a food storage bag.  Place in a 9x13 baking dish.  Stir every 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes lower oven temperature to 375.  If they aren't browned well enough after 45 minutes you can broil them for a few minutes.

While the potatoes are starting to cook mix up the meatballs.

1 lbs hamburger
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon bouillon paste
1 1/2 cups cereal (rice not corn you can taste the corn but the rice is tasteless)
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg

Process the cereal in the food processor until it resembles bread crumbs.  Then mix all ingredients together.  Shape into balls or a loaf, I use an ice cream scoop to make the balls.  Bake in 375 oven for 35 minutes.  If making meatloaf I top with just plain ketchup.  If making meatballs I mix equal parts of ketchup and mustard then add brown sugar until it's the right balance of sweet and tart.  After topping bake for another 5 to 10 minutes to set the sauce.  Serve with a toss salad and try not to eat too many!

My package of hamburger wasn't a full pound.  Normally, I get 9 meatballs out of a pound of hamburger.  By the time I had figured out that I was short it was too late, the 7 meatballs were already in the pan.  Don't use a really fatty hamburger.  I can get 80/20 or 93/7 so I mix half a pound of each.  You can substitute ground turkey for the hamburger.  If you do, don't use onion powder, finely chop fresh onion to add extra moisture since turkey tends to be dry.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)