Thursday, March 1, 2012

Super Burgers and Fries




Doesn't that look just yummy?  It was our supper!  Well let's make it so you can find out how good it was.

French Fries


2 pounds of russet potatoes
palm full of kosher salt
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 cups boiling water
2 cups ice

Scrub potatoes and slice.  For tips on how to slice the potatoes watch the video below.


See disclaimer #1 about video

In a large bowl combine salt, sugar, and boiling water.  Stir until dissolved.  Add ice and stir until it is melted.  Add sliced potatoes and allow to soak for at least an hour up to two hours.

Preheat deep fryer to 350.  Drain potatoes and pat dry.  You want them as dry as possible.  Fry potatoes in batches for 5 minutes.  Drain on a paper towel lined cookies sheet.  Move to freezer to get them as cold as possible. (Can be done ahead of time.  Once potatoes are cold put them into freezer bags.  This makes them like store bought fries.)

Fries after first fry


While the fries chill in the freezer lets mix up the burgers.

Souper Super Burgers (this was originally posted here)
1 pound hamburger 80/20 or 80/15
1 teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon Beef
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper to taste
Note: I use a cereal spoon as my teaspoon in this recipe

Mix all ingredients together.  Form into 4 1/4 pound patties.  Place in a skillet on medium heat.  Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes on each side for medium.  I like mine well done so I do about 8-9 minutes on each side.  Dress burgers to your liking.  I'm simple I only like is cheese and onion.

About a minute before you flip the burgers drop your fries.  Cook fries until brown and crispy.



Our hamburger buns were supplied by Kinnikinnick. (See disclaimer #2)  These are part of their new soft breads and buns line.  You are in luck because you are getting two reviews today.  One from myself and one from my husband.

Melissa (still eats gluten and had a burger for lunch on a regular bun):  The buns did not come pre-split.  When I sliced them I took a small bit of the center of the bun.  I was shocked.  It tasted very similar to wheat bread.  There was no odd after taste, no weird texture, and no need for a drink after.  I thought the bun was slightly dry.  I think if I had steamed the buns with the burgers that problem would have been solved.  On reflection I'm not sure they were any drier than cheap off brand buns.  This is the first time we have had gluten-free bread products that I actually ate and enjoyed my bread.  Normally I take a few bites and pass it off to the husband.  Not this time, I ate the whole bun.
EDITED TO CORRECT A HORRIBLE ERROR.  I MISS TYPED ATE WITH HATE. I DO NOT HATE THEM I LOVE THEM!

Paul:  When I asked him how it was he responded with, "They got closer than anyone else ever has."  After dinner I asked him what he wanted to share with my readers.  "They need to know that the texture was springy and not crumbly.  That's important to gluten-free people.  The overall texture and crust was more like a whole wheat bun then a white bun.  The flavor was right.  Straight out of the package the way we fixed them tonight, they were just like the regular buns you buy in the store."

So overall we believe that Kinnikinnick has a winner on their hands.  We finally have a bun that we both can and will eat.  In our house that is a huge deal.  Over the next few days I'll be sharing reviews of their hot dog bun, white bread, and multi-grain bread.

Disclaimer #1:  The video is part of the ad network I am member of.  If you do watch it, I get a penny or two.  

Disclaimer #2: I was compensated for the review with product.  All recipes and opinions contained in this post are mine and my husbands solely.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)