Saturday, November 12, 2011

Gluten Free Thanksgiving

'Tis that time of year.  Time for all those holiday gatherings and parties.  I love it.  I'm not kidding, I really do love it.  It was a favorite time of year in my house growing up.  I have fond memories of my mother in the kitchen prepping for the Thanksgiving feat.  I would come home from school, we went a half day on the day before Thanksgiving, and my mother would be in the kitchen cooking, chopping, working away while Christmas carols played over the radio.  The Christmas tree would be up and breathing so it could be decorated the next day.  On the stove there was always a pot of cinnamon sticks, cloves, and oranges to make the house smell just like the holidays feel.

Making that same atmosphere in my house is a must for me.  It's not the holidays without.  There are certain things that must be on the table or it's not Thanksgiving.  Some aren't gluten free but I've figured out most. ;)
Photo from Another Pint Please on Flickr
Turkey Dinner

1.  The Turkey -  Did you know not all Turkeys are gluten free?  They aren't and it is a must that you find one that is.  Be sure to read the label before buying.  I also brine my Turkey the night before.  The brine recipe uses vegetable stock that can contain gluten.  Off brand veggie stock was the only thing I could find that didn't have gluten in it.

2. Gravy - This one has always been gluten free in my house.  :)  I learned how to make gravy with cornstarch.

3. Mashed Potatoes - Again naturally gluten free.  Potatoes, butter, cream, salt, and pepper.  It doesn't get any better.

4. Green Bean Casserole - Get this I hate it.  I don't like it at all.  It's nasty.  It has to be on the table though. lol  I don't know but that's just the way it is.  This recipe is far from gluten free.  Condensed soup, soy sauce, fried onions are all no nos.  But never free we can still have it on the table.  I thinly slice an onion.  I use my mandolin to get them really thin.  Then I toss them with seasoned rice flour, just salt and pepper and drop them in the fryer.  I let them get brown and crunchy and drain them.  Instead of the condensed soup I use Alfredo sauce.  I use Classico Alfredo sauce that is marked gluten free.  I also saute some sliced mushrooms in butter.  I mix half the onions with a package of frozen green beans (the normal size not the huge one), with the Alfredo sauce and mushrooms.  No need for soy sauce!  Season with pepper and salt to taste.  Be careful with the salt though.  Top with the remaining half of the onions and bake until hot and bubbly.

5. Dressing/Stuffing - I haven't tried it yet.  Hubs didn't want any last year but then found out it's one of his moms favorite things.  So this year, I will be attempting it.

6. Pumpkin Pie - This one is super easy.  The recipe on the back of the Libby's can is gluten free.  The crust?  Well, mine of course!  Top with fresh whipped cream and you are in heaven.

What's missing from the table?  Hot dinner rolls and eclairs.  I'm still working on that.  Any suggestions?

What things are missing from your holiday dinner now that you have gone gluten free?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)