Monday, July 4, 2011

Why I'm Here Part 2 - I'm living out my dream!

Today The whole weekend was really busy.  Shields Photography is showing as part of First Friday Art Walk.  It's also been too hot to even think of baking so that's out the window.  So I thought I would finish my story.

I've never been formally trained in any of the crafts that I do.  Well, unless you count a few classes/lessons here or there.  I have also had a need to create but not the space as I got older.  The need to create something with my own hands is so deep it's almost painful sometimes.  I never buy gifts for friends.  It's always a hand made custom gift for them.  It's more personal that way I believe.  I didn't grab something off a shelf, I took the time to make you something.

My grandmother lived with me for 29 years 11 months and 19 days.  She passed away at the age of 98.  She had seen it all.  She never sewed on a sewing machine, it was all by hand.  She had the most even hand stitching I had ever seen.  She hand stitched the binding on every quilt my mom made.  We didn't have a dishwasher, still don't, because hand washing was better.  No bread machine would ever grace the house while she was alive making bread by hand was the only way.  I don't own a bread machine and I'm not sure I ever will.  Do it with your hands, it'll be better that was her motto.  I believe it, never have had wheat bread turn out right unless it was by hand.  Just before she passed away she told me I should take her bedroom when she was gone and make it a sewing room.  So I would have room to create.  She knew I needed that outlet.

I didn't take over her room.  She had a closet the room we slept in didn't.  So our old bedroom got converted.  It's nothing special, not a lot of storage in there but it's mine.  It's all mine.  I bought a table at Goodwill for 15 bucks and a can of spray paint at Wal-Mart for a buck.  I spray painted the legs glossy black.  I have an old dresser full of fabric, a card table that my sewing machines are set up on, and a small shelf with odds and ends.  I have a couple of tubs things have been tossed in, a floor with piles, and stacks of containers to be upcycled into storage.  But I have my own sewing/crafting/woman cave.

I've got plans and they are going slowing.  But together we'll leave out this dream.  I may never be as famous as Martha Stewart.  I know I'll never be as perfect as she is.  I just want to have fun, help a few people, and maybe even make a buck or two.

Happy 4th of July!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)